Monday, March 20, 2017

Now with 73% more Dark and 89% more Twisty


Ooo look! It’s my bright and shiny new blog! It’s here! Hooray!

I can’t tell you how excited I am to be blogging again, and I also can’t tell you how grateful I am for the all the support and encouragement I’ve already received. Thank you. Really. Thank you.


For my first official post, I thought I’d explain a bit about what you can expect to find here. As I said in my post here, this blog is going to be focused on issues to do with mental (un)health. The right sidebar has a list of the pages for each of the topics I will be talking about [though at this time they all say ::under construction:: Posts will be coming #soon]. And yes, if you are wondering, that title is an Ed Sheeran song lyric. I love him ok. Like not Mars level love, but it is way up there.


Each page will have some introductory information about the topic, and a list of any future blog posts that relate to that specific issue. There are also pages for downloadable content, a list of resources outside my blog [namely other blogs and YouTube channels that deal with mental health that I love], and for my fiction, because let’s be real, I really can’t help but play pretend author. You will notice that the link to my original blog is also in that list, just in case you want to play the nostalgia game and remember that time that I met Jared Leto and he used my design on an official Thirty Seconds To Mars t-shirt [three years later and still not over it, hehe]. I hope to have all these pages up and running over the coming weeks.

 

Mental (un)health is hard. It can be incredibly scary and isolating, especially if you don’t fully understand what is happening to you and you feel you have no one to talk to. I hope that the content I provide here helps those struggling and helps us all feel less alone. Myself included, as I feel very alone and afraid sometimes. Often. Always. But a wise man* once said, you’re not alone. We all go through the same shit. And he was right. We do. Everyone struggles with something, be it a diagnosed mental illness or otherwise. We all have our own battles to face but if we face them together, they can seem a lot less scary. Together we can overcome anything life throws at us.




On that note, please know that if you need someone to talk to, you can talk to me. I know a lot of people say that and don’t mean it, but I mean it. If you want to contact me, you can do so by leaving a comment here, or by sending me a message on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, or ASKfm [this is new, ahhhh]. I added in ASKfm and Tumblr because you can ask anonymous questions there, which I know can be helpful. Sometimes it is easier to talk to someone under a veil of anonymity. Trust me, I know. I’ve been seeing my current therapist for nearly two years and I swear to you he doesn’t even know what I look like, lol. I wear my hair across my face like a patented Hair Shield Of Invisibility™ and stare at the floor. He has said on a number of occasions that talking to me is a bit like talking to Cousin It. Asking anonymous questions is the internet approved version of the Hair Shield Of Invisibility™ and so if you’d like to use ASKfm or Tumblr in that manner, you are more than welcome to. Also if you have any particular topics you would like me to discuss, you can let me know via one of the aforementioned social media outlets.

Now, I just need to point out that I am not professionally qualified. I am not a therapist, a psychologist, a social worker, a butcher, a baker, a candlestick maker. My knowledge on these topics comes from my own experience of living in the Dark and Twisty Place** and being incredibly Scary and Damaged**. It also comes from years of treatment, research into these things myself, and more recently, the things that I am learning at university. I’ve never really gone through and explained What’s Wrong With Me™ in any great detail, and honestly, I don’t feel that rattling off my alphabet soup of diagnoses would add anything to this conversation. Suffice to say that my brain kinda sucks at being a brain and so when I talk about these things, it’s coming from a place of having first-hand experience. Sometimes even the professionals suck at understanding what it’s really like to live in that black and swirly pit of despair because they haven’t been there themselves. Which is good – I wouldn’t wish that hell on anyone – but it can make it really hard if the people who are meant to be helping you don’t have a clue. I have a clue. I know what it’s like as far as my own experiences go; I don’t mean to imply that I have lived your exact experience. We may share a diagnosis or two but everyone’s experience will be different. I just mean that I know what it’s like when you’re told to go do some good ol’ self-care when you can hardly bring yourself to get up to pee, let alone go apply a mud mask with mud collected from the swamps of Narnia*** and have a candlelit spa filled with golden rose petals and the tears of a baby unicorn. Some of the things I’ve been told over the years have been entirely ridiculous and unhelpful. I hope that things I write are slightly less ridiculous and slightly more helpful. I hope.

 
Anyway, I have rambled enough for one post, particularly because I am currently meant to be working on one of my many, many assignments. Oops. I just wanted to say thank you again for all your support and encouragement, and I sincerely hope that the things I write here will be helpful to at least one person. Somewhere. Anywhere.


Take care and stay safe.


Xx

 

*It was Jared Leto. Hehe.

**These are terms stolen from Grey’s Anatomy, which is actually the best show in the history of forever. Don’t fight me on this. It just is.

***Does Narnia even have swamps?